Why does the body turn on itself?
One of the most baffling category of all diseases is caused by the body’s own immune defense systems acting against itself. There are at least twenty (and increasing) number of illnesses that we now know are caused by the body’s own immune system attempting to fight the body’s own tissues. There are an increasing list of powerful medications that can be useful in managing these diseases but these drugs have powerful and often serious side effects.
Most patients are eager to find non-pharmaceutical approaches to help them manage their illness. Most conventionally trained physicians do not understand the wide range of good options that can help. But we here at Plum Spring Clinic do.
- It is especially important to determine if leaky gut is a player. Leaky gut can lead to an activation of the immune system that can lead to over-activation of antibodies, which is often a precursor of autoimmune illness.
- Allergies and sensitivities must be actively managed – and as often as possible with non-pharmaceuticals.
- Nutritional factors must be uncovered and addressed.
- Stress hormones and their role in an individual’s health must be understood and corrected.
- Many patients have other physiological systems that are not working properly and must be supported back to health – including the system that eliminates toxins, and the nervous system component that regulates the body’s physiology. Sleep is commonly disturbed (often even in the face of adequate hours of sleep!).